I just sold a bunch of these darling little birdies at a get-together for local crafters and home-based businesses. They make great package decorations or tree ornaments. They are so much fun to make with just scraps of fabric you have on hand.
1. Make a pattern of a bird shape. Mine is approximately 5.5 inches from nose to tail and 2.75 inches in the center.
2. Layer scraps of fabric on top of each other and zigzag with a piece of batting underneath.
3. Flip over and do the other side the same way.
The easiest way is to make a scrap square bigger than the bird pattern and then cut the bird pattern out of the pieced together square.
Don't worry about the stitches showing on the other side.
4. Cut out the bird shape.
5. Sew the word on.
6. Zigzag around the outside of the bird.
7. Attach a string for hanging.
You can applique a heart on the opposite side of the bird if you like. I did that when I made 40 of them for a baby shower.
To see how to print the words on fabric, go here.